Subject: [Leica] Walker & James Agee: Cotton Tenants
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:02:03 -0600

Lew Schwartz wrote:
It turns out that the article Agee was to have written for Fortune Magazine
and which most thought was abandoned when he undertook "Let Us Now ..."
was, in fact, written, but never published. They found it and it's now a
book with some of Evans photos (not new photos), but here's an online panel
discussion for those interested.

http://www.booktv.org/Watch/14719/Cotton+Tenants+Three+Families.aspx

Excellent find, Lew.  It's a bit long and some will find it dry and "talky"
but it was great to hear some really smart folks discussing the book in
detail.  It struck a chord in me because I've been kind of thinking
recently about the relationship of words to photos and how they can amplify
each other when combined with purpose.

I've also been going through "Working From Memory" by Evans acolyte William
Christenberry (Steidl, 2008), a book of pictures with little essays by the
photographer, sharing his memories of the circumstances and meaning of the
images when he took them.  It has really enhanced my appreciation for his
work.

I never really knew the details of the Evans/Agee collaboration in Alabama
before viewing the video.  Christenberry grew up in that area and his
parents knew some of Evans' subjects, and he and Evans visited the area
together in the 1970s I think.

Thanks for sharing!

--
Phil Swango