Subject: [Leica] The Beast of Busco
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 02:55:05 -0400

Thanks, Nathan. Telling these stories of places people outside of Indiana
do not know about is what my work is about.

Churubusco is a place I have a lot of childhood memories of. Its located
about 15 miles northwest of Fort Wayne. My family used to go to
Chain-O-Lakes State Park, which is about 10 miles northwest of Churubusco,
a lot when I was young. We went camping there, swimming, fishing, and
hiking in the woods.

To get to the park, we had to pass through Churubusco. There is a small
supermarket called Egolf's IGA on the highway in the town that sold really
good sugar cookies that they baked there. We used to stop and buy some to
take with us. The day I made this photo, I stopped in the store to see if
they still sold the cookies, 20 years after the last time my family
stopped there. They did! I bought a bag of them, and my son got some
chocolate chip cookies.

Across the street from the IGA is a small restaurant and ice cream shop
called Magic Wand. We often stopped there for ice cream, and sometimes ate
lunch there. The inside of the place was decoreated with clowns! It still
seems to be, as they had a clown painted on the front of the building when
we drive by it last week. I didn't stop to eat though, since I'm short on
money now, but my son and I are going to go back and photograph the
restaurant and the grocery store soon, and may eat there then if I have
the $$.

I've wanted to go photograph this town for a long time, and never got
around to it till now. It really hasn't changed since I was a kid. The
concrete turtle is still there, Magic Wand is still there, and the IGA
still has the sugar cookies!

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography