Subject: [Leica] IMG: Long-billed Dowitcher
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 13:28:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

This morning I visited the Davis Wetlands, which is the final stage of the
Davis city sewage treatment facility.  The ponds have been drying up over
the summer and now, mid-August, most have turned into dried cracked mud.
The mudflats that still have water in them harbor huge numbers of
invertebrate animals beneath the surface and it's these critters that the
shorebirds probe for with their long bills.

One particular mud flat/pond was especially suited to setting up a blind
with a semi-dry grassy hill within a few feet of the water's edge; I waited
in this spot inside the blind for 3 hours to photograph Dowitcher (a
medium-sized Sandpiper):

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/scolopacidae/lbdowi04.html

technical stuff: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO, tripod & blind.  All comments
welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com