Subject: [Leica] Motion contest blur
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 23:05:15 -0400 (EDT)

 I'm glad that no winner has been declared in the Motion contest. Years of
being an art critic for several local newspapers have convinced me that
image selection by a single juror is a fallible process. Some images and
photos that have been declared "Best of Show" by one juror have been
rejected by another. It's all a matter of personal taste, the Zeitgeist, and
for all I know, the phase of the moon. But I'd like to get something off my
chest without, hopefully, offending anyone.

About BLUR. It is well to remember that blur is an artifact of the
photographic process. I am appalled by some comments made during the Motion
contest that suggest that a depiction of blur automatically implies movement.

Normally the human eye doesn't see blurring of a moving object. When we look
at something in motion our eyes alternate between quick eye movements and
focusing on a single point on the object. When our eyes are moving, we are
functionally blind. We see the moving object as a series of still images
which our brain fuses together into a concept of motion. When we track a
moving object by fixating on a single point the motion blur of the object is
eliminated. Instead the background itself becomes less clear.

To see what I mean, remember that the refresh rate of the normal human eye
is between 15 and 20 times a second. Early motion pictures used 16 frames a
second to depict motion. Now drive down the highway at 60 mph. (Try 100 kph
if you are mileage impaired.) The roadway seen out of the windshield appears
perfectly sharp. You can read the traffic signs, see the bumps in the road,
even the dead squirrel crushed by the previous car. Now point your camera at
the roadway and take a picture through the windshield at 1/20 second.
Everything I mentioned will be blurred. The foliage along the edge of the
road will no longer be sharp, Bumps and potholes will be indistinct. And you
will be unable to tell if the carcass on the road is a squirrel or a cat.
The camera doesn't have a brain. Hopefully you do.

Cameras traditionally recorded a moving object as blurred because older
films required a shutter speed which was insufficient to record the details
of the scene at a moment in time. In the early days of photography exposure
times were measured in minutes. Or the camera itself would shake and
everything in the frame is blurred. Over the years viewers of still pictures
learned that blurred images meant that the object shown was moving.
Interpreting a photograph is a learning process. There is little in a photo
that truly duplicates reality. ?

Most modern digital cameras incorporate camera motion detectors to minimize
the effects of camera shake. One part of the pre WW2 Leica/Contax conflict
was the argument about which direction of shutter movement, vertical or
horizontal, produced the most convincing representation of object motion.
Contax seemed to be the winner, at least in auto and bike racing since the
vertical motion of the shutter distorted wheels so they appeared to be
tilting forward. This implied rapid motion. Auto and bike posters of the era
were drawn to emphasize this effect.

Appropriate selection of shutter speed or following the motion of a moving
object can introduce enough controlled image blur to give the impression of
motion but you have to know what you are doing. BLUR DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY
MEAN MOTION. Sometimes it just means bad photography. Motion should be
suggested by picture content. Not by exploiting a past limitation of the
photographic process. Remember that Harold Edgerton's strobelight photos,
the first that captured the motion of really high speed objects like bullets
cutting a playing card, were perfectly sharp.

In the 21st. century. it is well not to be bound by the limitations of the
past or the opinions of mossbacks like myself.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Motion contest blur)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] Motion contest blur EXPLANATION BY LARRY ZEITIN and Dr. ted !)