Subject: [Leica] IMG: motion without blur, circa 425 BC
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:09:09 -0600

Late to the party, I'd been debating posting this image of motion, but
here goes...

<http://photos.csd.net/euainetos_tetradrachm.html>

The die engraver, Euainetos, is regarded as one of the greatest in the
ancient world.  This particular coin is a masterpiece, and Euainetos was
clearly proud of it as Nike flying overhead with a wreath with which to
crown the victor, is holding a tablet with ????? on it, his name.  Dies
were rarely signed, and never in this manner.

The reverse depicts Apollo and the name of the town ????????? (Katane),
the crab on the obverse and crayfish on the reverse likely symbolize the
Amenanus, the underground river running into and surfacing within Katane.

The knotted rope and bell resemble, to my eye at least, the pattern on
Apollo's omphalos in Delphi.
<http://omphalos150.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/omphalos-at-delphi/>

Comments, criticisms welcome.

John