Subject: [Leica] OT: Optometric labs for edging and tempering glass lenses -DAS
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 01:07:03 -0400

Ok, someone here has to know the answer to this. I have some standard-sized
(circular, 75mm+ diameter) Persol lens blanks (bottle brown glass) that I
would like to get cut down (edged) for some Persol sunglass frames I have.

One lab in the U.S. balked for fear of delamination (or melting) the glass
during subsequent chemical tempering (which sounds weird, since the glass is
not laminated or coated - and 400 degrees is a lot lower than the melting
temperature of glass, which I understand to be well over 2000 degrees F. I'm
not going to go ballistic on a lab if the glass fails during processing, but
I would like to find one that will at least try.

Does anyone know of a lab with the moxie for this project? I'm fine with
places outside the U.S. if that's what it takes.

Thanks
Dante

NO ARCHIVE