Subject: [Leica] Is film making a comeback?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:21:14 -0400

I'll have my flatbed set up right to the right of my desk in a day or so I'm
getting rid of my tuner. The only music I listen to is through earphones or
headphones now. Same with my neighbors now.  It seems like a trend. You
don't hear me I don't hear you. One of these days I'll get less than perfect
neighbors and have to invest in some noise cancelling ones. But my Harman
Kardon tuner is like a big black obelisk laying on its side next to my right
hand which serves as a too large table to place my iPhone, iPod, wallet,
watch and notepad on top of. The Epson flatbed will do better. I think it
cost me some real money like 4 or 5 hundred bucks. I hope I don't have to
thing cleaned.

For us to weigh in on our attitudes towards  our personal continued film use
is nice calling the thread " Is film making a comeback?" I'd call ill
chosen.
Film is not going to fall off the edge of the planet to never return. There
are millions of cameras out there which many people would not see just used
ass bookends. The fact that some people continue to use film does not mean
its making a comeback. I think in another four to eight years they may be a
full circle thing where a lot of people who've been using digital will give
film another shot having not used it in a decade. But its too soon now.
Most people are way too excited about the images they are making with this
late breaking every exciting technology to move into a nostalgic mode.

No longer is there the academic thing being foisted upon people to the tune
of  "the only real photography is film photography". Those teachers have
died off or not gotten tenure. Or just been embarrassed out of existence.
Digital has been a boom for photography use and interest.
Some of these people caught up in this image making boom are going to want
to also explore other avenues.
Like Platinum, Carbon, Salt prints, Daguerreotypes, and silver gelatin. And
a dozen other printing and photographic technologies that never died off
after looking first prominence..
There are people who use dry glass plates and wet plates.
A quick search and you can find out where to get the materials and how to go
about using them like which workshop to take or which book to get. Or which
website to key into.

But film is not making a comeback. The percentage of workers using film vs.
digital is going to continue to go down.
Was more film sold this year than last year? I doubt it.
I think the price of film will continue to climb and we'll have a limited
selection of emulsions. But we'll still have some.
I have keyed into a local source of film photography use. The Lomo people.
Lomography Gallery Store
41 W 8th St, New York, NY
(212) 529-4353  ? lomography.com
They are selling along with an interesting array of film cameras; film and
processing and other services. And there is an atmosphere of positive energy
on film use surrounding the place. And some really good not too expensive
cameras. And an atmosphere of experimentation.
http://shop.lomography.com/us/belair-city-slicker
The Belair X 6-12 City Slicker has got my attention.
A 6x12 fielder for $249.00 which also shoots 6x9 or 6x6.
6x12 is my favorite format. And my flatbed would do well with film that size
on it. This new format for me with my off my right hand scanner might easily
get me into shooting more film.  As would a few of my other medium format
classics I still have on hand.
But less so 35mm. For some reason film wise I have less  interest in that
sized format and feel I'm doing real will digitally on that.

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

Replies: Reply from csaganich at gmail.com (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] Is film making a comeback?)