Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lulworth Cove, part three
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 15:13:47 +0100

Jay,

overall I really like the quality and detailing in your M photos. I may not
always like everything that you post but...

With regard to Lulworth though, I think you have done a very good job of
capturing it and showing what it is like for those who haven't been there.

I have known the area for some twenty years or more so, if I may, let me fill
people in a bit. Lulworth is a small, but iconic, cove on the fossil-rich and
spectacular Jurassic Coast (a UNESCO World Heritage site) in Dorset in
southern
England.  The Cove is renowned as a safe anchorage for small sailing boats if
the weather gets rough. It used to be a small fishing village. There are a
few
houses (probably less than 100) mostly scattered away from the cove itself, a
small military base (the site of some of the earliest tank trials, a nearby
castle and a caravan (trailer) park. Like a number of other places in the
area
it is a throwback to an earlier age. It isn't a proper resort but somewhere
that
people just come to spend the day. It attracts a wide range of visitors from
all
classes.

I think your pictures *do* capture the essence of the place and the people
that
go there. In a lot of ways it stands in complete juxtaposition to Neil's
"Jermyn
Street"

I am surprised that you haven't posted your images of Swanage, which is
another
place that in many ways preserves a way of life that is gone from most of
Southern England and one that I have photographed many times,
for example :
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/PAW+2007
/SwanagewithSunbathersinDeckchairs.jpg.html>

and:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album83/SwanageJetty2004_001.jpg.html>

I think that you ought to collate your pictures into a short photo-essay on
the
area. Your overall view of the area would be very interesting.

Happy to chat more about it off-line if you want.

Peter

--

Dr Peter Dzwig