Subject: [Leica] IMG: Another new Casual Portrait
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 21:39:11 +1000

I didn't need to upgrade, I just wanted to and anticipated the waiting
lists.. My M9 is certainly not worn out. Lluis has it now and after maybe
800-1000 frames with it, his M8 is for sale.
Alastair may have something to say on the merits of the different models on
his return home.

On the CCD vs. CMOS sensor colour rendering, much of what I've read on that
makes no sense to me at all. They shoot Raw and you develop them with all
kinds of variables ;-). I'd expect both the firmware and the profile
(Adobe) will evolve in any case. The corner correction for wides in adverse
circumstances seem much better too, however I've shot little with wider
than 35 thus far.
I do agree that the current firmware iteration by default renders a warm
AWB, especially in artificial light. It is also easily a stop or more
better than the M9 in noise performance. 2000 ISO for me is perfectly
usable when needed. There are more pixels of course but I never felt that
the M9 was hampered in any case. The camera is much more responsive. I shot
200 frames again  quickly on fast moving kids with the M9 and found that I
was waiting on the buffer again. Never saw it once with the M. The RF seems
better again although I've read nothing definitive on that. I can say that
mine is spot on when compared to the Liveview. Mine is currently out
vertically but amazingly still spot on in the normal plane (post-drop). Oh
and I have several inadvertent movies ;-)

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman