Subject: [Leica] HCB, Salgado, Evelyn Atwood in Singapore
From: dankhong at gmail.com (Dan Khong)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 13:31:19 +0800

Dear LUGgers

At an elegant champagne reception on 16 Oct and again last night at the
Asian Civilizations Museum in Singapore, Leica launched its first ever
exhibition of the works of these photographers outside of Germany (If I
heard that correctly after all the champagne and much food).

Yes, HCB's "decisive moment" shot is also displayed in the gallery of this
museum.

Website of the museum: www.acm.org.sg/

The exhibition will be displayed till end of 2013. The museum is located
next to the Singapore River with its beautiful scenery, vibrant culture and
historical architecture, and plenty of photo taking opportunities.

At the reception, I met Peter from Leica and he is the designer of many of
the current crop of APO lenses. Unfortunately, he had to leave for
Frankfurt last evening and so I hope for another chance to catch up.

I also met some of the people who used to be part of the SLUG (Singapore
Leica Users Group). Some of them have expressed a desire for the group to
be reformed. I need to think about doing that and getting the guys together
again. As you already know, there was a period of uncertainty with the
company when the digital tsunami put many old camera companies out of
business. Thankfully Leica survived and I believe it is moving in the right
direction.

Leica is directly distributing its cameras and has a flagship outlet at the
Raffles Hotel in Singapore, a nice location with tremendous history older
than Leica itself. There is a showroom and a photo gallery in the premises.

To put the long story short, if you are passing through Singapore, do make
it a point to view the exhibits. The exhibition area is specially designed
to keep out light that may damage these precious prints.

Leically

Dan Khong

Replies: Reply from david5stones at gmail.com (Red Dawn) ([Leica] HCB, Salgado, Evelyn Atwood in Singapore)