Subject: [Leica] Sad tidings for newspaper photographers
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 12:50:35 -0500

I wouldn't necessarily say stupid so much as stuck with incredible
changes, changes that haven't existed in the 300+ years of newspapers.
Before Craigslist and in-store coupons changed the world, newspapers had a
built-in advertising base--mainly because there was no place else for
advertisers to go.  Add in the monopolies that newspapers enjoyed for the
past forty years, thanks to joint operating agreements, and it was a
protected world where papers could readily afford to invest in quality
reporting.

I fear that no amount of quality will ever come close to bringing back
enough readers and revenue to support the news staff of days past.  The
instances where individuals are investing in quality reporting (Bezos'
acquisition of the Washington Post comes to mind) seem to be more vanity
acquisitions that the owners hope will eventually prove their worth.

When I think of high quality as a means of driving sales, I think of my
refrigerator full of Fuji Acros--the finest black and white film I've ever
used.  In a world where photography almost completely means memory cards,
Acros' days are numbered.

Jim