Subject: [Leica] IMG: Carousel Horse
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:46:17 -0800

Gerry Walden OFFERED:

>I tried thinking out of the box for once:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwpics/10951171953
>
> Hope you like it!<<<<<<<

Gerry my good fellow! LIKE IT???? SMASHING MY GOOD MAN! :-) You think and
try stuff like this you can shoot out of the box any old time you wish!!!!!!
:-)

Now the official title for this visual effect I believe, IS ? :-)  Shooting
a "SWISHY PAN!"  Which I believe has been accredited as a Ted Grant name
quotation. Not that I  used the effect first, thousands probably ahead of
me. But it seems I gave the effect a name!

Referred as.. " Shooting swishy pans!" From Indy race cars, stock cars,
motorcycle riders on the streets of Kuala Lumpier in Malaysia, baseball
runners from home plate to first, winter skiers and jumpers! Olympian
athletes Anything where the subject is moving and you pan with the subject
at the identical speed of their motion. The trick here is to pan the camera
with a slow shutter speed at the "peak of the action as they subject blows
by you. CLICK!

MOST IMPORTANT? When you pan and shoot."for best effect?" You must trip
shutter while subject is at perfect right angles to your position and you
trip shutter and follow through tripping in sync while camera is moving! If
you stop in the middle and trip shutter the moving object will be nothing
but a blur and not likely you'll understand "What is that blur? Did you
screw-up while shooting?"  Instead of a re-action by viewers of? "WOWIE what
smashing great action shot! How did you do that in admiration by viewers!

And yes it takes a bit of practice. However never bother counting how many
times you do it, as the chances are you'll delete maybe 90% of peak action
and blur effect before you start hitting the beauties!.

Say shooting a 100 meter foot race?  Sit on the ground about half way down
the track where there's enough space for you to be sitting well back from
the track and as the runners blow by about half way point, swing the camera
at the same speed and using a slow shutter speed. A successful image is one
where the runner or parts of the runner are sharp and you can understand
what it is , while the back ground and fore ground is nothing but a
beautiful blur of colour!

Shoot lots if you're still shooting film because you can't see what it looks
like? :-( With digital a slight bit of chimping  allows for checking the
blur factor and get ready to shoot the next!

SO ENDTH THE LESSON! :-)

Although Gerry you look like yer on the right track and shooting lots more
you can only become better! :-) Although yer looking pretty good at this
moment,  "when yer out of the box!!!!"  :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)