Subject: [Leica] Scanner Surprises, Imacon vs. Epson flatbed
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:43:06 -0800

This is for the last 2 of you that are still shooting film.

I use a Nikon LS-9000 to scan anything up to 6x9 and 35x66 (XPan). For 6x17
and 4x5, I have an Epson V700.

Someone is selling an Imacon 343 virtual drum scanner for a good price. As
I would need to sell the LS-9000 if I want to purchase it, I sent him a
couple 4x5 negs for some test scans.

The results is pretty remarkable - the Imacon wins some in the highlight
department - and I may be able to tweak my V700 scan to match, I do not
know - but otherwise, one cannot see the Imaqcon winning in sharpness or
shadow details. Sometimes the Epson scan in fact looks better, but lets be
generous and call it a tie.

I wasn't expecting that. I thought there would be small but noticeable
difference in favor of the Imacon, but this is not the case at all.

If I do not have 2 (actually 3) scanners and starting from scratch, the
Imacon is a better buy overall (except that it cannot scan larger than 4x5
or paper), but since I know the LS-9000 and V700 really well, I will pass
on this...

--
// http://facebook.com/richardmanphoto