Subject: [Leica] What do YOU do with "last year's cameras"?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 19:03:47 -0500

The drill of course is to trade in last years mirrorless crop format amateur
cameras in for next years the same.  Nobodies giving nothing to nobody. They
are all in that price point people are comfortable with in the camera
trading racket. Around a grand $1000 give or take.
The RX1 full frame is closer to three grand and in not too non recent years
that would have gotten you a  start in a Rollei 6008 Integral medium format
system.
A system no pro I ever met could ever afford it cost three times what a
Hasselblad cost including its JSK Schneider Kreuznach glass which cost twice
what the Hassy Zeiss glass cost.
But a three grand camera today is the one grand camera of the past decade or
so as that's how the price of money goes inflation wise...
We get to be old guys and we think the price of a movie ticket should be 25
cents and a time for a  pack of Milk Duds.  And we do know  its closer to 25
bucks now.
The  Sony RX1 has not created a new market in "serious" compact photography
a market you'd think Leica would want to still be a leader in. Its not.
Leica is not going to make a full frame compact to compete with its inflated
in size and cost and features over the top M which could fit in the pocket
of your Captain Kangaroo Jacket.
So Leica makes or has made for them by Panasonic - here today gone tomorrow
- cropped compacts which make a lasting impression on nobody. Not exactly an
heirloom item for ones grand kids.

The Sony Rx1's only competition would those who wish to shoot full frame
without an anvil hanging around their neck on a camera strap is the A7
announced last month so its a tad to early to trade in for next years model.
Its also made by Sony but looking more like an Olympus om1 than a Leica M or
Rollei 35.
Targeted at serious and pro level people who like to keep their camera
weight and size form down without a loss of final image quality.. In other
words  the Leica brained people of tomorrow and today..

So in the compact full frame camera department we've got Sony competing
against itself and Leica not even in the running. A sad day has come upon
us.
Leica  can't come out with a Barnack size form digital.; as somebody might
buy it. And therefore not buy their metal munching M.