Subject: [Leica] Cameras of yore and their disposal
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:28:16 -0800

Camera Progression

Leica M6ttl (still in use but limited to B&W)

2n Leica M6ttl  - - -> gift to my son

Leica R8 - - -> sold to photographer for use with DMR

Canon D30 - - -> transfered to my wife who gave it up for a Canon G8 now on
G11

Canon 1Ds Mk II (still in use, but less than it used to be)

Panasonic Lumix GF1 (very infrequent use but pulled out sometimes)

Sony NEX-7 (being repaired/replaced by Sony after bike crash)

Sony NEX-6 (new bike camera)

Sony alpha-A7

Sony alpha-A7r

It's a rule that I don't buy a camera that won't use my existing Leica glass.

The NEX-7 suffers from a horrendous menu system. All the Japanese cameras
suffer from a form of feature creep 2nd only to the US military's ability to
add unneeded "features" that get in the way of the prime task of the camera:
taking pictures. Leica gets high marks from me in this aspect of design. But
the new Sony cameras are getting better. I think they need to sell into
their native market which sees the lack of twilight portrait enhanced
dynamic range smile sensing anti-glasses reflected mode as a major
shortcoming. It must be cultural. Unfortunately they continue to inflict
this on everyone else. Sigh. <end rant>

I'll be working through lenses now that I have most of a life back.

Will my Leica glass be rendered totally worthless on the alpha A7(r)? I
doubt it. But I don't shoot wide-angle and I'm not a street shooter.

I can tell you this: they are not silent cameras.

Mountains don't seem to mind. I might have to be wary of starting an
avalanche though. Probably not an earthquake.

Adam