Subject: [Leica] Dali - Halsman throwing cats
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 07:45:26 -0500

" Halsman and his 4 x 5 format, twin-lens reflex camera" is how this was
shot. He designed the camera. Gowland did the same. For pointy footed
glamour gals.
A format famous on the LUG for being incapable of capturing action!
Can not be done! You need roll film!
As he used high speed strobes it would not matter much which film  he used.
He could probably have used the slowest high rez avable not that with this
format it would make much difference in any result smaller than the wall in
Grand Central Station.. Other than hotter strobes and perhaps slightly
longer flash durations..
And probably shot it at f16. The f stop way beyond all LUG rhyme and reason.

In the early '80s I tried doing a version of this shot once with my Balcars
and a gal who went on to become ridiculously famous. She hired me in effect
to do that shot.  "The one with the cats and the water" In my own mind it
was simply a matter of "do something impossible". I may have fallen short.
She went out and bought the cats and showed up to the shoot. After two
throws I actually became aware the small cats were not so happy about being
thrown through the air with a bunch of water.

Halsman had them do it 28 times.
But people smoked cigarettes around babies in 1948. Our brains were
different.

I was very concerted the client didn't let lose the cats into the city,
Portland after the shoot as I was not convinced she  was a cat person . and
every time she called me I asked where the cats where and she said they were
in the hall.  They may have been on the fire escape or the street. Or on the
roof. Or in kitty heaven. With the air of tuna in the air.

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer