Subject: [Leica] Noctilux
From: hjwulff at gmail.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 22:17:42 -0800

The 0.95 is as good as it gets at high speed, with the well understood
downsides of price and size. At smaller apertures the pictures are hard to
distinguish from Summilux-ASPH pictures, but the large size and price
remain. Focus shift exists but is quite manageable. It is the only one of
the three that can be considered an all in one lens, if you can live with
the size. This lens, like the other Nocti's focusses down to only 1m, which
is a distinct limitation in comparison to the slower current 50's and in my
opinion its main operational failing.

The f/1 is of much lower contrast at wider apertures, but also sharpens up
nicely with the downside of considerable focus shift. It has incredible
flare tolerance which allows it to capture images that no other lens seems
capable of. A lens shade is largely pointless. This is a lens that is not
easy to master and renders in a unique way, but the rewards are great. Our
Dr. Ted did most of his medical photography for his books with this lens,
and mostly at f/1. True mastery!

The f/1.2 is pointless unless you plan on placing it in an honorary position
in your collection. Current prices are exorbitant, and it is not as good a
lens overall as the f/1 while being slower. It is a much softer version of
the old Summilux 50. The Nokton f/1.1 is definitely a better lens overall.

If you have the Summilux ASPH and an M240, the 0.95 is not as necessary as
it was with the M9, but it of course still allows a little but lower light
subjects to be recorded successfully (as long as they are at least one meter
away) with shallower dof, but the f/1 will allow a different vision, if you
are willing and able to master it.

I used to have an f/1.2, have used the f/0.95 and the Nokton f/1.1 and
currently have the f/1 and the Summilux ASPH.

Henning