Subject: [Leica] LUG Yearbook future cover contest
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 02:20:10 +0000

I think the conversation has veered from what my idea really was about to
begin with which was what should be on the cover.  And that is a result of
thinking about and looking for ways that we can improve the LUG book...

My train of thought is that the cover is the most important image of a book
because the cover image both sells a book and it is what entices someone to
pick it up and look through it.  I also believe that the cover should really
reflect the content of the book...

I personally would rather see one or several of the best images in the book
on the cover instead of a photo of camera gear....   And with that in mind,
the question would be how to decide on what should be on the cover....
There are any number of choices,

1)  The editor or editorial team could choose an image.

2)  A small pool of images (like 4 or 5) selected by the editor or editorial
team could be floated to the entire LUG to vote on.   (The cover images
could be selected from images received by Dec 7th for example, to encourage
people to submit things earlier)

3)  We could draw a number out of hat and one of that person's photos gets
on the cover...

4)  Use a mosaic of different images from the book on the cover...  with
enough diversity of images to accurately depict what is inside....
Hopefully a least one of those images would invite any person with any
interest in photography to pick it up.

5)  We could not have any photo on the cover at all, just text.

6) Or we could have some piece of Leica gear...

Either way, I don't think anyone should really feel slighted that their
photo did not make the cover and that they are a loser because of that.    I
understand people feeling that way.  I am always disappointed when certain
of my images don't get used or when they overlook what I think are my best
images and use something that is not what I would chosen.

The reality in the publishing world is that you are not going to get the
cover very often.  Editors are going to pick the image that best
accomplishes what they think is best, what they want, or what sells, and
sometimes editors are blind.

I personally would much rather that a single cover image for the LUG be
chosen by the large group of peers.... than by one or two people.  And if
you don't get the cover, use it as motivation to try a bit harder next year.

But the more I think about it, I actually would prefer some sort of mosaic
of images on the front than a single image, as a mosaic communicates better
what is inside.

Either way, everyone who gets two images published in the book wins....

Since we are floating ideas....  what about adding a photo/self portrait to
each photographers page...   where they are from and maybe a favorite quote
or something....    ( I know it is more work.... )

And what about making a downloadable pdf version of the book available to
LUGgers (not going through Blurb).   If the book is created using InDesign,
It is really easy to create a PDF version...   And we could offer that PDF
book for the same amount as what the current profit is on a printed book.
(around $7.50?)

Just ideas to consider...   FWIW

Duane

Replies: Reply from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] LUG Yearbook future cover contest)