Subject: [Leica] IMG: the old Jewish cemetery in Wrocław
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:06:49 +0100

Wroc?aw, where I was born (and where my sister still lives), was known as
Breslau until 1945 and was one of the most important cities in Germany. In
fact, its importance was such that Hitler gave the order in the winter
1944/45 that the city was to be defended to the last man. As a result, the
city was virtually levelled before it was finally taken by the Red Army in
March 1945. Miraculously, two of the three Jewish cemeteries survived (the
last one was destroyed by the Nazis before the war). Yesterday, we visited
the older of the two, with graves from the late 18th century to 1940 or so.
Knowing what happened later, it was quite a moving visit. I just put up a
small set (8 images) to give you a feel for the place and the history of the
city of my birth:

http://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Old-Jewish-cemetery-in-Wroclaw/

Today, Wroc?aw is a vibrant city of 700,000 inhabitants, one of the real
success stories of the new Poland.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman