Subject: [Leica] IMG: Anna's Hummingbird
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 11:30:56 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Frank Dernie wrote:

I wonder if it is a high frequency low amplitude version of the Kestrel's
low frequency high amplitude talent. I will never forget seeing this
demonstrated by a staff member at a raptor centre. He moved the hand on
which a Kestrel was perched at least 3 inches in every direction and the
kestrel's head remained stationary in space and its gaze did not flicker.
It was amazing to see!
<<<

>>> What continues to amaze me about hummingbirds is how they can keep their
>>> head perfectly still while everything else is shaking at 60 Hz.
>>

>>how do they do it Doug, do they have a gyroscope in their heads?

Hummingbirds certainly operate at a high frequency!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com