Subject: [Leica] Sony b&w
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 11:11:08 -0800

I read this report yesterday. I?m not sure what to do with it. Leica?s
experiment with the monochrom seems to have come years too late.

There are many reasons, of course, why a monochrome sensor makes sense for
those of us who want to shoot black and white. But will Sony make the
gamble? Is there enough of a market to make it worthwhile?

On one hand Sony is trying to up its stake in the high-end market so the
monochrome model of the A7 (or whatever) would make sense. But they would
probably need to see sales in the 10s of thousands for it to pay off for
them. Is the market large enough?

With the low end of the market being eaten up by camera phones (many of
which are quite good - I?m sure impressed by the cameras in the iPhone 5 and
most especially that of the iPhone 5s) the upper end is the chance for
camera companies to compete and perhaps prosper.

I?m hopeful but not optimistic.

Adam