Subject: [Leica] Temple Beggars
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 07:51:08 +0800

Thanks.

I speak (broken but re-learning it) Cantonese and have learned some
Mandarin. There are quite a lot of mainland Chinese tourists nowadays
(Howard mentioned a figure of 50 millions during last year!) so Mandarin is
spoken everywhere too.

The best are the names of the roads. Almost all of them are English names
then transliterated into Chinese and if you know anything about Chinese
transliteration, it basically has "similar flavors" if you squint your ears
and tilt you head 90 degrees. And then occasionally yo have names in French
etc. So for example, there's this road called Des Voeux Road, and in
Chinese, more  like "Duc Fu Dao." I was supposed to meet up with Howard at
a Starbucks at Des Voeux West and I was on Des Voeux East. I thought I know
which way is east-west but I wasn't 100% sure. Unfortunately, I couldn't
ask for direction because I wasn't sure how to pronounce "Voeux" and I
forgot how to read the Chinese that sounds like "Fu". Fortunately, at least
my sense of east and west was correct at that time and we met up at the
right time.

Oddly, Stabucks has no Chinese names...