Subject: [Leica] Seen Along the Way
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Barney Quinn)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:51:09 -0500

Civil War Enlisted Men's Quarters, Fort Marcy, Point Lookout, Maryland.
Point Lookout is where the Potomac River joins the Chesapeake Bay. During
the Civil War it was home to a Union Hospital, A prison for captured
confederate soldiers, and a camp for freed slaves. The collective suffering
there must have been horrendous. Somedays I can almost feel it in the air.

This is where the enlisted men who guarded the confederate prison were
housed. Over a hundred men lived in this room. Don't be fooled by what look
like what we would think of as bunk beds along the walls. They are sleeping
shelves. People slept three to a shelf. That makes nine to the unit. It must
be that people were far less fastidious about their sleeping arrangements
than we are today. I snore like a Newfoundland Hound. I would have beed real
popular.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Barney/Enlisted_Barracks_001.jpg.html

Comments and criticisms welcome!

Barney