Subject: [Leica] The latest about Photo ethics in a war zone
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:18:22 -0500

No:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima

"However, the photograph was not without controversy. Following the second
flag-raising, Rosenthal had the Marines of Easy Company pose for a group
shot, the "gung-ho <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gung-ho>"
shot.[28]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima#cite_note-Fox_News_2009-28>
few days after the photograph was taken, Rosenthal?back on Guam?was asked
if he had posed the photograph. Thinking the questioner was referring to
the 'gung-ho' photograph, he replied "Sure." After that, Robert
Sherrod<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sherrod>,
a *Time-Life <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Life>* correspondent, told
his editors in New York that Rosenthal had staged the flag-raising
photograph. *Time <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_(magazine)>'*s radio
show, *Time Views the News*, broadcast a report, charging that "Rosenthal
climbed Suribachi after the flag had already been planted. ... Like most
photographers [he] could not resist reposing his characters in historic
fashion."[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima#cite_note-ap-2>

As a result of this report, Rosenthal was repeatedly accused of staging the
photograph, or covering up the first flag-raising. One *New York Times* book
reviewer even went so far as to suggest revoking his Pulitzer
Prize.[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima#cite_note-ap-2>
In
the following decades, Rosenthal repeatedly and vociferously denied claims
that the flag-raising was staged. "I don't think it is in me to do much
more of this sort of thing ... I don't know how to get across to anybody
what 50 years of constant repetition
means."[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima#cite_note-ap-2>
Genaust's
film also shows the claim that the flag-raising was staged to be erroneous."

Tina