Subject: [Leica] Testing the Monochrom (2)
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 07:07:52 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Gerry Walden wrote:

I agree 100% on the convenience of digital, but I also think that there are
times when quality is sacrificed in the name of convenience.
<<<

Agreed.  Even before digital it was possible to throw away the color data
and the difference in quality was obvious.  Whether the difference in
quality with digital is apparent or material depends on the photographer,
the circumstances of the photo and the end use of the photo but the
difference is there.  IMHO if the web is the viewing medium the quality
difference isn't apparent, but converting from color (or colour) to B&W
throws away a substantial portion of the image data whether starting from
film or from a digital file.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com