Subject: [Leica] Salgado photos
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:40:15 -0500

And from The Online Photographer more details:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2013/09/dxo-film-pack-and-salgados-method.html

Since he has said that he doesn't use a computer, I would guess that the
DxO film simulation and corrections are done by an assistant?

You might notice that one of the endorsements for DXO Film Pack on the
current Film Pack page on the DxO website is from Sebasti?o Salgado. From a
variety of interviews and public comments, and forum threads*, here's a
reconstructed summary of Sebasti?o's digital > film negative > darkroom
print workflow:

1. Shoot with a digital camera
2. RAW demosaic (+ exposure correction, I suspect)
3. Process with DxO Film Pack for Kodak TriX 400 or TMax 3200 film
simulation.
4. Print that image to a 35mm technical film internegative (so you have a
real negative whose image simulates his favorite old films without adding
grain).
5. Print the internegative to silver halide paper in Parisian darkroom
using his regular printer** (with dodging and burning for the Salgado look).

This workflow lets him shoot digital images that look identical to his film
images and result in a silver halide archival print and an archival
negative (that can be printed from in the future).

I think many photographers today have no idea about darkroom printing
annotation and pro printers (see for example "Magnum and the Dying Art of
Darkroom
Printing<http://theliteratelens.com/2012/02/17/magnum-and-the-dying-art-of-darkroom-printing/>"
on The Literate Lens). They can add enormous value to a print.

Salgado gets the best of both worlds. He (or his assistant) doesn't have to
carry 50 lbs. of film to remote locations (and through many Third World
X-ray scanners) but he ends up with a negative and print as he did with
film.

Tina

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] Salgado photos)
Message from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] Salgado photos)