Subject: [Leica] IMG: Winter Sunset
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 21:46:37 -0800

Barney Quinn OFFERED:

 > Winter Sunset, Bellevue, MD.  Sue Ryan asked about intent. I am just  guy
with a camera who enjoys looking for images and pushing the button when I
find one. It would be very presumptous for me to say that I was any kind of
an artist or that I had any grand artistic purpose.<<<<<<<<

Hi Barney,
Interesting Barney because like you, I don't think I have ever had any kind
of feelings of "intent" when I've been shooting a $1000.oo dollar a day
assignment or just for my own happy snap versions as I call and relate to
some of the best parts of my photographic life.

I don't think I can put fancy words and feelings together about what I've
done and do when shooting whether a "paying assignment " or a walk about on
a quiet evening as the sunsets and you click away feeling the warmth of the
evening or the ice cold chill of standing in an Olympic PHOTO POSITION on a
ski hill! Grouped together with about 150 or more  semi-huddled together
other freezing sports photographers waiting for the next skier.

And you've been standing in this spot for 3 hours or longer!  Then the three
hour bus ride back to the main Olympic Village! But dang it always had great
sessions of fun and comraderie! :-)

"Artistic feelings?" Oh I suppose some folks have those kinds of things??
Me? I was always damn glad I had the assignment to be there along with the
incredible feelings of being offered the assignment to do so.

But I truly have loved every moment of every Olympics Winter & Summer since
Cuba! Until my last, 1992 in Barcelona!  Winter is the toughest without
question due to all the extra heavy warm clothing, boots etc. and the gear
always seems heavier particularly in the field sports.

cheers,
ted