Subject: [Leica] Deception Island
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:14:56 +0530

The first stop around the Antarctic peninsula was Deception Island, a
very well known spot in the South Shetlands, and our first landfall
below 60 degrees South. It is the blown out caldera of a volcano,
which is still active to some extent, with a narrow channel called
"Neptune's Bellows" leading to a large, circular, sheltered harbour.
We stopped at a point called Telefon Bay for a short hike up to a view
point and some scenery. Luckily, this was one of the few clear days
with bright sunshine that we had in the whole trip. The minute I
landed, the first thing I saw was a Chinstrap Penguin running along a
beach full of kelp, next to very deep blue water, and the walls of the
caldera as a backdrop. The ice tended to be grey because of all loose
greyish brown volcanic soil blowing around everywhere.:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4642.jpg.html

Suddenly, it swerved into the water, and was gone:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4685.jpg.html

Walking on, a Crabeater Seal was asleep on the water's edge. Despite
the name, these seals live on krill, and not crabs - they are thought
to be the most numerous seals on the planet, but this was the only one
we saw. It was fast asleep, but as I got near, it raised its head and
had a look:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4758.jpg.html

Then it yawned and went right back to sleep:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4796.jpg.html

The rest of the photographs are of the landscape and details on the
caldera. This one was from the zodiac, the ice forming a detail that
looked like a flying saucer, and a two toned sea in the foreground::

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4918.jpg.html

A typical landscape:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4706.jpg.html

Two looks at a small valley with a stream at the bottom:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4719.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4738.jpg.html

Details on the caldera slopes, taken from the ship:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4812.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/antarctica/Antarctica_20140116_4827.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Deception Island)
Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] Deception Island)