Subject: [Leica] Paparazzi
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 08:19:39 -0800

One point about way back when. (Yes I was one of those at plane arrivals in
Ottawa the capital of Canada for the arrivals of Presidents, Queen's and
other dignitaries.

HOWEVER!  The RCMP Mounties had everything under control and at a proper
distance to the hand shaking welcoming  folks. They would draw an imaginary
line on the tarmac with their foot! "SEE THAT LINE? DON'T STEP ON IT NOR
OVER IT!" And the front line of photographers knelt, second line stood. The
rest at the back shot through the gaps of other shooters heads as they could
find a spot!

Step over the imaginary line? Or cause any pushing or shoving? You were gone
faster than you can spit by "one of the biggest Mounties you've ever seen,
nor want to deal with in your life! :-)

We were "proper news photographers" we were gentlemen and respected each
other even though we always had a spirit of competiveness towards' each
other.

But when the Queen came to visit Canada? The arrival of the "animal kingdom
of early paparazzi" from the UK. arrived with her. The well behaved
Canadians learned what SOB's these guys could be with their little foot
ladders to gain height to shoot over the "crowd of photogs" gathered.

But then we the "colonials" showed them we could be savages with elbows and
other manner of feet inflicting necessary pain on these hooligan so called
photographers from the UK!!

Oh yes it was a time to be a newsphotographer with imagination! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Another little story from the long gone past! It ain't like it used to be!
:-)