Subject: [Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 08:29:26 +0530

Well, I think the Sony A7/A7R resonates with precisely the sort of
hobbyist who likes Leica as well - trying out different lenses from
different generations, pixel peeping on ultimate quality, etc - only
landscape photographers who can take their time with every shot could
use this system for serious work with adapted lenses. My view is that
Sony just does not have the lens range for anyone to take their
cameras seriously over a hobbyist's level. Even if you look at the all
the examples posted on this forum, most, if not all, photographs are
of static, inanimate subjects. The pros are increasingly migrating to
Fuji for photojournalism and street work, for the simple reason that
the whole range is of a very convenient size with good quality
viewfinders, and more importantly has a good range of excellent native
lenses, and they get their job done with minimum hassles! At least, I
see this happening all around me here in India with professional
photojournalists whom I know....

I have been using a Nikon D800E since it was released, so I am aware
of just how good that sensor is in the A7R. If only Sony concentrated
a bit more on bringing out a range of lenses to match this sensor, it
would be to their advantage. But then, they used to make superb top of
the line, state of the art laptops as well (the Z series), but they
discontinued it, and have ended up selling their laptop division,
unable to compete with anybody in the mass market in that niche. I
have no doubts whatever that that is exactly the fate that will befall
their imaging division as well...

Just my two bits

Cheers
Jayanand