Subject: [Leica] What Are These White Dots?
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard at sfr.fr)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 16:56:08 +0100 (CET)

De : "Robert Baron " <robertbaron1 at gmail.com>
A : "Leica Users Group" <lug at leica-users.org>
Copie ? :
Sujet : Re: [Leica] What Are These White Dots?

 Thanks for posting that image, Phillipe.  I feel somewhat better now.

Being almost always curious, I'm wondering if this is an effect limited to
digital sensors.  It is something I've never noticed before.

It also (and mainly?) depends on the structure of the snow
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Lumix/20080220-P1020492.jpg.html
here, the crytals act as mirrors and shooting straight into the sun doesn't
help (exif says f20 at 1/160th for 100 ISO)
The specks were simply out of the dynamic range of the sensor, hence whiter
than white.
Film might be less binary I think.

Amities
Philippe

And also, thanks to all who replied. Specular speculation is being much
appreciated to bring me out of the dark.

So to speak, of course.

--Bob