Subject: [Leica] Jakarta, Indonesia
From: drleonpomeroy at verizon.net (Leon Pomeroy)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:44:29 -0400

Yes. My wife speaks some Dutch. Her mother was fluent in Dutch. It stand to
reason given the colonial period that spanned some 350 years of Dutch rule
(
and that?s a long, long time in the more ?slowly rotating world? of the
day. Dutch speakers are found among older, educated generations. The Dutch
set up a zone on Sumatra where they selectively educated (i.e., groomed)
native Indonesians to help ?run the country (i.e., become bureaucrats,
educators, doctors etc.). My wife is descended from that tribe (i.e.,?
seeds? of the Indonesian intelligentsia). Today, Indonesians are more
interested in learning English, Japanese, and Chinese reflecting their
growing commercial ties with the wider world. We enjoy Amsterdam (i.e.,
?mother country??) for the reason that it has more ?Indonesian? museum
displays and historical artifacts than on display in Indonesia itself; along
with its many fine Indonesian restaurants. Leon