Subject: [Leica] Random observations on resolution (long and irrelevant to the craft of being a good photographer)
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 21:13:28 -0400

Yes, something isn't kosher. Your file should be about 6000 x 4000, for 24
megapixels. I don't know anything about Lightroom (yet) but perhaps there is
a setting that will import a file at lower resolution than native, but if
you're going to manipulate an image I'd have to think that there's no reason
to bring it in at anything other than native. In fact, the file you describe
can't be just a down-sampled native file because the proportions are not
3:2. Something is definitely amiss.

As I said in my post, upsampling to improve the appearance of small details
is useful only when the final viewing size is so large that you're looking
at it near the limits of resolution, which is not the case unless the whole
file is printed at a scale where the native pixel count is down to maybe
half the range of the pixel density at which prints look good?say, 300
dpi?meaning the original file would have to be stretched to maybe 150 dpi.
This means that the 6000 pixels of the long dimension of the image file
would have to extend to 40 inches. For a print at the size you mention, you
could actually DOWN-sample by a factor of 2 and not lose anything. But first
I'd figure out why you're getting the wonky pixel dimensions.

?howard

In reply to: Message from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] Random observations on resolution (long and irrelevant to the craft of being a good photographer))
Message from rgacpa at gmail.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] Random observations on resolution (long and irrelevant to the craft of being a good photographer))