Subject: [Leica] Random observations on resolution (long and irrelevant to the craft of being a good photographer)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:03:05 -0400

I think  this  "double the pixels to get smoother, more realistic details "
this is the very definition of suspect.  I tried finding that everywhere and
it comes up blank. I really don't think there is an up side to up sizing. I
think its a loose louse proposition.
In other words I think my details don't need to be more realistic and I've
never heard there would be a problem with them.

My hit on this whole digital thing after an even dozen years of crunching
pixels is upsizing your images is the last thing you'd ever want to do. On a
list of things you'd want to do to a digital file upsizing ain't not on it!
You're best off doing what is being said which is stick to the original size
of the file and let the pixels play out as they lay. In other words if you
end up with a file smaller than 300 or 240 dpi or whatever you think its
optimal then just print it anyway.  I made a big print at 120 dpi once!
Didn't look so terrible!  Even with the lights on! In the past years people
have realized that printing at way lower rezs than what has been considered
viable can work out just fine. Other than that there's third party software
from the past (i.e. Genuine Fractals or SI Pro). Some think its just as good
now to use tricky techniques in Photoshop instead and the third party stuff
is not worth it any more. Me I'd just go out and buy a big boy camera namely
a D800 or the Sony or go medium format if I needed output on a larger scale
than is in my present comfort zone.

I'd like to hear what size the prints are that are being done and what of
and how they look so far on the wall; as it all can get to be a theoretical
exercise in goggling what people on chat groups say about it.
As in just printing it this newer bigger size and see what it looks like.
You never here "these big prints I'm making I wonder if they can be
improved?" its always a future tense thing.
Not you of course Bob!

On 3/22/14 7:45 PM, "Bob Adler" <rgacpa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm. Lemme check again. Could have been a cropped image I used.
But my
> question still stands: if I double the pixels to get smothered, more
> realistic
> details as Howard stated, how do I then downsize the dimensions to retain
> that
> effect?
Thanks,
Bob