Subject: [Leica] Prince versus Cariou copyright case settled
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 17:29:17 -0400

I'm going to retype one of John Grisham's best sellers in a different
typeface, moving the action to India, changing the character names, adding
some atmospheric descriptive language, and altering a few plot details,
maybe give it a new title and different ending, throw one of Jayanand's
photos on the jacket (with his permission of course!) and publish it
claiming "fair use" of a copyrighted creation by another artist.

Any doubts how the court will rule?

How is this any different in principle from Prince v. Cariou? Why would
anyone think a graphic-arts creation should enjoy less legal protection than
a novel?

Picasso said (allegedly) that "Mediocre artists borrow, but great artists
steal!" Prince didn't steal. He kidnapped Cariou's subjects and sold them
into slavery.

?howard