Subject: [Leica] Close encounters of the hairy kind
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:47:00 -0500 (EST)

This is Gihishamwotsi, the beta silverback in the Sabyinyo group. The leader
is
very old now and Gihishamwotsi is 'mating' pretty much at will now, so is
effectively taking over the family. He was lying in a bamboo clearing in the
dark jungle of zone 2 as I was photographing him. He got up and began walking
towards me:

http://tinyurl.com/nsalzpv

after this shot I stopped 'shooting' and assumed the submissive position as
200kgs of muscle brushed past my left arm. Quite a thrill, and to be honest I
did not feel scared, as they are such gentle creatures and don't see us as a
threat.

Cheers

Alastair

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Close encounters of the hairy kind)