Subject: [Leica] Some new Tri-X work, marginally scanned
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 23:17:59 -0400

I decided to take a film camera (M3, 50 ?lux, Tri-X) along on our trip to
London on the Queen Mary 2. Here are some of the results. And I finished one
of the rolls at home with an M5 that I wanted to check for light-tightness
and approximate shutter accuracy.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Tri-X_001/

The film was developed by a custom lab (Digi-Graphics) and I intended to
scan it myself but found that the film adapter for my earlier Nikon Coolscan
doesn?t work with the 5000, and the older scanner uses the obsolete SCSI
connector, so is incompatible with my current computers. I took the
developed film to a local photo store (they don?t develop B&W any longer)
for scanning and had them done at an advertised 2000 dpi, which seems to be
correct, as the files are ~6 MB. So the files look pretty granular. Somehow
it managed to scan a 36-exp roll in what seemed like one minute; I have no
idea how it does it so fast. I have just bought the correct film adapter on
eBay and I hope to make the files look better by scanning the negs at 4500
dpi, equivalent to a 30-MB sensor.

Parenthetically, it?ll be interesting to see how the detail and resolution
in a good scan of a Tri-X frame compare to FF digital files of various
sizes. With this in mind, I took a picture of my standard target for such
tests, a house across the quarry, with the M5. I?ll post it when I get a
decent scan.

BTW, the kid (about 30 years old) managing the photo shop insisted that
Kodak had stopped producing Tri-X. And it took me several minutes of careful
explanation to convince him that he was incorrect in thinking that larger
pixels on a sensor make for more detailed photos. This is the last surviving
photographic store in Toledo. All they sell is accessories, Lomography gear,
C41 processing, custom prints, and studio time.

?howard

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Some new Tri-X work, marginally scanned)