Subject: [Leica] Leica R system
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 08:26:28 +1000

I know nothing about the business schools but  the article is
incomplete/inaccurate. The sloppy captioning of the photo does the
publisher no credit either.
DMR production stopped owing to the changed relationship with the supplier
as is known. It was never produced in volume in any case.
R lens production languished over some years, and the inventory was cleared
at 'fire sale' prices.
The R10 and presumably preliminary work on a new AF lens range did start
and was previewed at Photokina. It was never intended that the existing
lens range be resurrected.
The announcement of the cancellation of the R10 was in mid 2009. I was
there along with a couple of hundred other Leica enthusiasts.

While Leica Camera wanted to provide a vehicle for the existing R lenses
their analysis was that those people on their own were just not a
sufficient market to make the new camera a commercial success. They elected
of course to proceed with their 'middle format' S system instead. The R10
at a much higher price would have had to compete directly with the Japanese
designs which dominate the market. At the same time the M9 was in
development in house and concurrent with the S system design and their
resources were stretched. As it turned out the M9 was more successful than
was anticipated and while the S2 camera got to market the (CS) lenses for
it were delayed.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman