Subject: [Leica] Coded or non coded lenses, that is the question ADAM!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 18:56:57 -0700

Adam Bridge offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Coded or non coded lenses, that is the question

Hi Adam,
Thank you Good Sir for the explanation.

I suppose I have not been shown any lens variations where the effects can be
cleanly seen! My understanding has always been of what I see in a photograph
has always been an actual defined improvement because of a filter use? A
macro lens effect! A 400mm tele etc. Something tangible and readily
recognized.

I shoot with my M8 and whatever lens it maybe, my images look just super
fine while printing 13X19 size prints. So is there some kind of situation?
Lighting effect? Whatever? A situation where I can shoot a scene and see a
diffeence. I'll rent a coded lens or maybe someone living near by has one
I'll ask a loan for a few hours or so. And shoot with both non-coded and
coded.

Maybe that'll make me see the errors of my anti-coding rants!
thank you.
cheers,
ted

In all the jargon up until your clean explanation

I understand where you?re coming from. BUT?it does matter because digital
isn?t like film.

What happens to light as it encounters the digital sensor is different from
what happens with film.

The software (technically firmware) in the camera can account for the way
light strikes the sensor. Because Leica knows the geometry of both the
lenses and the way the little ?micro-lenses? that are placed over each
light-sensing area of the sensor are designed, the engineers can make up for
trade-offs in the design.

Even the ?RAW? output of the camera is processed to some degree and the
sophistication in processing can make a substantial difference in image
quality without having to do anything else in, say, Lightroom.

Most of this difference happens at the corners or the edges of your image
and it?s about relatively small changes, although with wide-angle lenses the
chances can be quite substantial.

If you take a great image the lens coding will make it better. If you take
an inferior image, well, no silk purses will be created.

You still have to see.

Hope this helps?

Adam