Subject: [Leica] A bit OT, but we're Renaissance folks, right?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 17:52:19 -0400

I have a Nikon N80 film SLR that sat unused after 2005, when I got my first
digital SLR, until yesterday. I want to use it again for an idea I have
about film astrophotography, so I put new batteries in it and turned it on.
No result?nothing on the LDC data panel, no autofocus, no shutter, no LCD
panel illuminator. Pushed the two-button reset. No result. Batteries out,
batteries in, turned it on, turned it off, reset it, etc. etc. No result.
After a few minutes I noticed that the LCD info display on top now showed a
big -E-, meaning no film in the camera, as it does when the camera is
off?progress! Turned it on and the LCD went blank. On & off again. No
result, not even the E. Another minute or two and the E was back, and when I
turned it on, it now showed camera data, as is normal. Push the shutter
button and all goes blank. A few minutes later and the display is normal
again, and now pushing the shutter button causes the lens to auto-focus and
the shutter to fire. From there it's been working normally.

So, as that the N80 is as much a computer-controlled electronic device as a
mechanical one, it clearly has circuitry. Apparently some circuit component
underwent a change in 9 years of not being powered up that disabled the
device, then recovered function in a gradual or incremental manner once
power had been applied. What is it?

An internal intermediary battery that gets charged by the main batteries,
purpose being to preserve the computer's data when the main batteries get
discharged, and without a charge on which the camera won't work? And as it
charges up, starts to run the camera incrementally? The manual makes no
mention of an internal battery or of a period of recovery if the camera's
been unused for years (maybe Nikon didn't even know this could happen).

An electrolytic capacitor that loses its polarity in years of non-use, then
re-forms over several minutes after new batteries are installed?

Anyone know or have thoughts?

?howard, n7exn

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] A bit OT, but we're Renaissance folks, right?)
Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] A bit OT, but we're Renaissance folks, right?)