Subject: [Leica] M Sensor Cleaning: people's current favorite devices and supplies and techniques?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 13:22:28 -0400

I clean a lot of sensors, maybe ten a day including the dreaded D600 oil
issue.  Use a blower with a lot of thrust to blow the dirt/dust off the
sensor; start by holding the camera mount down then work from the outside
of the mount into the shutter region.  Whatever mode your camera has to
clean the sensor engage that to open the shutter and blow off the sensor a
few times.  Put one and at most two drops of sensor cleaning fluid on the
correct size swab(4/3, aps-C, H, FF) and sweep the swab in one direction
with a moderate/light touch across the sensor maybe twice.  You should be
fairly quick as the fluid is essentially a highly volatile
alcohol/ether/ketone mix.  Blow off the sensor again.  To confirm you got
the dust and oil take an image with a normal to telephoto lens set to
infinity and at around f16 of one of your slide sorting panels or some
other plain light colored background using a high enough ISO that your
shutter doesn't drag.

Examine the resulting almost 18% gray image at whatever magnification makes
sense for the images you create and repeat the cleaning process as needed
until the offending detritus is gone.

I hope this helps, the cover glass really isn't that delicate and if you
can clean the glass of DR Summicron without scratching it then you can
clean your sensor; just blow off the dust first so the only issue is oily
grime that comes mostly from urban/polluted air.  Dust will just blow off
although electrostatic forces can make you think it won't.

This once I wouldn't use Dr. Ted's lens cleaning method as even well
laundered it probably isn't the best choice.