Subject: [Leica] FF will require at least 350 Mpx for full resolution
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 04:41:09 +0000

Just taken a look at your settings, not sure what Nikkor lenses you are
using (or their quality) but you have stopped them down so much that the
D800 will be hit by diffraction limitation, try again at f5.6 or  f8.....

john

The other thing, other than how an end image looks, is that as pixel count
increases the camera has to be held steadier. At ~36-40MP and you are
looking at faster than 1/3xFL as minimum to hand hold IMO, higher MB backs
are usually used on tripods.

What size output are you envisioning that will need this resolution?

john

OK, too much time now that I?m fully retired as of 10 days ago. As I
previously posted here and in the Gallery, I was impressed by the
improvement in resolution with the NEX7?s 24 Mpx APS-C sensor over the
D800?s 36MPx FF sensor (and much moreso the M typ 240?s FF sensor) when all
were used with 35mm lenses (actual zoom FL, not "35mm equivalent?, in the
case of the NEX7). The use of a true 35mm FL with the NEX7 was the
equivalent, in image scale on the sensor, of testing a FF sensor of 54 Mpx.
Clearly the limits of the inherent resolution of camera lenses are far
beyond the resolving power of sensors up to 36 Mpx. How far, I wondered.

So I shot the same scene with a Sony RX100 (20 MPx in a sensor that would be
about 1/8th the surface area of FF if it were cut down from 4:3 to 3:2 and
from 20 to 18 Mpx) and a Panasonic TS3 (12 Mpx, and about 1/32nd of FF if
cut down to 3:2 and 10.7 Mpx). These are therefore like small sections of FF
sensors of roughly 144 Mpx and 350Mpx, respectively. I shot comparison
images as well as with a D800. I made images with the RX100 with the zoom
set to actual FLs of 24mm and 35mm, and with the TS3 set to 23mm (its
maximum actual FL), as confirmed in the EXIF. The D800 was used with 24 and
35mm primes. The results are posted at:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Res+Test+Crops/

I was not surprised by the improvement from the NEX7?s 54 Mpx equivalent to
the RX100?s 144 Mpx equivalent, but to see a further increase in detail in
going to the TS3?s ~350 Mpx equivalent was really eye-opening. There?s not
as much more detail in this last step as the one before, but the true case
is masked by a lot of what looks like heavy JPEG artifact (no raw option) in
the TS3?s image. This is puzzling, as the degree of compression here is
quite mild (12 Mpx down to 5) and actually less than with the RX100. There
may be more noise as well, inevitable with smaller pixels. There are
numerous trade-offs with tiny pixels, but I would expect technological
improvements to alleviate some of these. When one of the advantages of
medium and larger formats is higher sensor resolution and rendition of
detail, it seems to me that when the FF sensor pixel count gets into the
range above 100 Mpx (assuming that will happen), we?ll have resolution and
detail that surpass MF. Noise and dynamic range will suffer as the pixels
shrink, but for many users I suspect that stellar resolution will trump the
disadvantages, at least if technology keeps these to about the level they
have now.

Regardless, I think this is a revealing demonstration of how the resolution
of even the highest-Mpx sensor still falls far short of lens resolution.
What will be done with/about this state of affairs will be interesting to
see.

?howard

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] FF will require at least 350 Mpx for full resolution)
Message from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] FF will require at least 350 Mpx for full resolution)