Subject: [Leica] shooting the M240
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 13:45:30 +1000

Steve I need to be working sorry so I can't participate much more for the
moment.
My view is that the M is designed to be a very high quality RF camera for
making photographs using the extant legacy system.
The live view and movie functionality are by-products of the
sensor/electronics design, or bonus capabilities if you like. So is the
ability to adapt other lens systems such as the defunct R system.
Each new M digital has had much more processing power and had to deal with
much more data than its predecessor.
In the case of the Maestro processor unit in the S and the M. It actually
has different sections switched on if you like for different capabilities.
In the S it needs to deal with very large DNG files but only about 2 a
second and no video or audio or liveview.
In the M of course it needs all of those capabilities. The maximum
resolution/quality/format/compression of the data stream for that movie
function  is set to what the electronics can cope with. The data volume
that you need for the higher resolution Olympus branded VF4 (of which there
is no Leica branded version) is similarly too large as I understand it.
This is all getting above my pay grade ;-) just another user's
understanding/opinion.

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] shooting the M240)