Subject: [Leica] Languages/dialects
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 16:54:36 +0200

While it is true that the US has English and Spanish as the two main
languages, the variations in the way English is spoken is huge as well, even
if they are not formally recognized as different dialects. When I lived in
Buffalo, I was 100% fluent in English, meaning the British and NE US
variety; but I could not understand people in South Carolina when we stopped
at a rest area on our way to Florida.

Also keep in mind that Spain was unified only in the 15th century; prior to
that it was a bunch of separate kingdoms, and so the regional identities
have remained. And I suspect that until the 20th century most people never
left the town or the province they lived in.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain