Subject: [Leica] Performer vs., Music vs. Audience
From: drleonpomeroy at verizon.net (Leon Pomeroy)
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 20:35:24 -0400

What to make of the following?

"Jayanand, Of course I agree with you, it was complicated translate in
English what Fischer-Dieskau said, he was referring into the sense that
there are many performers that act more for themselves than for the music,
he was mainly talking about the economic aspects. Cheers Lluis."

"In answer to Luis, I beg to differ. Music, like all arts, should be
performed for the benefit of the audience, otherwise it is all a waste...(-:
Cheers Jayanand."

Must music be true to the music, the performer or the audience? (i.e,
presented for the benefit of the composer, performer, or audience?).
Musicians are easily bored and feel compelled to interpret (make their own
"arrangements") freely no matter what the audience expects or composer
intended.  Sinatra had a stable of arrangers. I never liked performers who
spin well known musical scores and lyrics to conform to their emotional
needs. Bored performers should stick to the improvisation of jazz and
comedy. My two-cents! Dr. Leon Pomeroy, Northern Virginia, USA

Replies: Reply from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] Performer vs., Music vs. Audience)