Subject: [Leica] IMG: at the water hole
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 22:10:54 -0500 (CDT)

Great shots Doug.

gene

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Herr" <wildlightphoto at earthlink.net>
To: lug at leica-users.org
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 10:14:28 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central

After last weekend's photos of the White-headed Woodpecker I searched for a
nearby spring I'd heard about earlier this year.  I figured that with the
unusually dry weather patterns the spring would draw birds in and with the
blind I'd get some pictures.

The spring turned out to be no more than 2 or 3 square meters of surface
water; partly shaded and partly in full sunlight and WOW did it draw the
birds in!!!

In the limited time I had I observed at least a dozen species, several of
which I could not photograph because of awkward viewing angles from the
blind or deep shade with dappled light or obscuring vegetation.

The photos I did get incuded

Townsend's Solitaire
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/turdidae/myadestes/tosoli01.html

Mountain Bluebird
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/turdidae/sialia/moblue07.html

Yellow-rumped Warbler
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/parulidae/setophaga/yrwarb06.html

and Dark-eyed Junco
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/junco/dojunc04.html
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/emberizidae/junco/dojunc05.html

It's a safe bet I'll be going back there soon.

All photos: R8/DMR, 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R, lightweight ground-level tripod &
blind.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com