Subject: [Leica] From the Markets
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 08:44:19 +0530

Ric, Luis, George
Thanks for looking.

These flowers are used for primarily two purposes. Firstly, ythey are
bouught loose and strung into garlands, which are used for any festive
occasion as well as inside temples:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/Mylapore/Kapaleshwar_20110317_056-Edit.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/Mylapore/DSCF0728.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/Mylapore/Mylapore-20131102-073.jpg.html

Small jasmine strings are also used universally as a decoration tucked
into women's hair - including in my house, where a flower lady
delivers these daily (they have a divine smell, so I think it is as
much used for the perfume aspect as for the beauty)

The other use is for use in the daily pooja (prayer) in temples,
houses, wherever - where loose flowers are an essential part of the
ritual:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/album254/Mylapore/Mylapore_20121215_060.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Kanchi/Kanchi_20121231_120.jpg.html

Cheers