Subject: [Leica] Image stolen from Lluis?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 14:45:11 -0400

OK, I think I've figured it out. The largest image in the screen shot I
posted, the man and the woman, appeared yesterday in full-frame form when I
was clicking through Lluis's flickr album. Now I realize that when I do so,
every few images I get an advertisement, something I had never noticed
before. At first glance, if you click through rapidly, the image in the ad
could be mistaken for an album image. Not having realized that the image was
an ad, I was taken aback to see the same image in an ad on Yahoo! today, and
now I'm realizing that a number of the ads I encountered in flickr also
appear in my Yahoo! window.

This is surely targeted advertising, as the ads are not placed only by big
and wealthy companies such as might dominate multiple streams. Something in
my cookies folder, or demographics file somewhere, identifies me as a likely
target for certain ads, and Yahoo, or my ISP, or someone, gets paid to place
the appropriate ad in front of my eyeballs. You have to admire the
cleverness of this, but it's annoying and intrusive. I noticed this sort of
thing once before?after I had done a search and a few site visits for some
product, can't recall what, I started seeing banner and sidebar ads for this
kind of product in all manner of web activities, and it went on for days
before, I suppose, becoming too non-current and being replaced by random
background ads.

Sorry for the false alarm. But since I was able to think of it, and the
technology exists to bring it about, expect to see it eventually: an image
that you viewed recently will appear as a personalization of an ad on a
website you're viewing, in the hope of attracting a click from you. Ain't
technology grand?

?howard

Replies: Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] Image stolen from Lluis?)