Subject: [Leica] 1/4 million views (so what?)
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 16:24:32 -0500

I enjoy having Webalizer analytics that show these views on my own site:

 [Daily Statistics] [Hourly Statistics] [URLs] [Entry] [Exit] [Sites]
[Referrers] [Search] [Users] [Agents] [Countries]

I've seen discussions on Dpreview questioning the numbers rendered by the
Pbase counters.

I'm wondering if the Pbase stats have a way of excluding author clicks and
bots from the numbers you are seeing, or are you just seeing numbers?   The
nice thing about Webalizer is that all those things are broken down
cleanly, so you can get a rather clear picture of just what images are
performing well, and to what kind of audience down to browser types.

It is a tough problem, when sometimes your image gets snagged in
Stumbleupon, or some forum, and so your image count skyrockets, though you
may not be getting any actual views in your album.

That's another advantage to Webalizer on my own site, as I can find issues
like that and pull pictures that might be misused in some way.  If I track
them and find the use is innocent, I usually just let it be, or I watermark
the image.

?Regards,

Sonny
http://sonc.com/look/