Subject: [Leica] Trip to Grand Coulee Dam
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 20:45:05 -0700

If you have never been, you need to see this dam.  HUGE.  It had been maybe
30 years since I last saw the dam.  This is the first time I have been to
see the LASER light show at night.

We took the tour of the pump house and the weather was threatening.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/gc/Grand+Coulee+Dam-1121.jpg.html

When we got out from the belly of the dam, the sky was falling as we ran to
the bus.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/gc/Grand+Coulee+Dam-1127.jpg.html

Normally the bus would drop people off mid dam and leave them as it went
further and turned around.  But with the pouring rain, and with permission
of the armed guards that accompany you, the stop consisted of a very brief
look-over.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/gc/Grand+Coulee+Dam-1133.jpg.html

As you can see, there was no water going over the spillway.  But when the
bus got back to the shack, they opened the spillway because the rains along
the 151 mile like added too much water.  Now days, the spillway is not
opened often.  Usually just a little bit at night for the light show.  But
they were open pretty good for 3 hours or more to allow the excess water out.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/gc/Grand+Coulee+Dam-1145.jpg.html

We hung around the visitors center and ate dinner, waiting for the show.  In
our little RV, I overheard someone outside say something about a rainbow, so
I jumped out.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/gc/Grand+Coulee+Dam-1157.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/gc/Grand+Coulee+Dam-1160.jpg.html

The light show is almost impossible to photograph.  Things move quickly, but
every once in a while the image pauses to get a relatively non-blurred photo
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/gc/Grand+Coulee+Dam-1175.jpg.html

The Visitors Center is awesome.  You can spend hours there watching the many
shows.  They had a  new one that was really good.

Comments welcome.  Feel free to view them large.

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired (retarded?) Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

"The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself
would ever have dared dream."   James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (Philippe) ([Leica] [LRflex] Trip to Grand Coulee Dam)
Reply from ric at cartersxrd.net (RicCarter) ([Leica] Trip to Grand Coulee Dam)